Have we planned out everything we need for the big day?
Engaged couples tend to have a big list of to-do’s before the wedding day.
There’s the flowers, colors, dresses and tuxedos, catering, venue, and music. There are people to invite, legal forms to be filled out, and there’s a honeymoon to be planned. This time is often marked by a sense of excitement, anticipation, and a fair amount of stress – especially for the bride!
Of all the items couples can busy themselves crossing off their list, perhaps the most important one is laying the foundation on which the rest of their life and love will be built.
You and your fiancé are wanting a loving, lasting relationship, and premarital counseling can help you get there.
Do you and your fiancé dream of having a lifelong relationship characterized by a thriving friendship, loving intimacy, and healthy communication? Do you hope to be like that couple you know who seems to have an unbreakable bond? Are you perhaps hoping for a marriage that’s quite different than what you saw growing up?
Uplift Counseling Center is here to serve you! We offer premarital counseling for couples from all over the Orange Park area because we believe every love story deserves to be a happily-ever-after story.
Premarital counseling is designed to help couples learn the vital and most important skills for a happily-ever-after marriage, such as:
- How to communicate in a healthy, constructive way
- Simple ways to love and cherish each other
- How to manage money and budgets as a couple
- How to have, keep, and enhance good sex
- How to navigate your relationships with the in-laws
- How to manage conflict
- How to voice and support each other’s life dreams and goals
- How to get on the same page about having and raising kids
- How to pursue shared purpose as a couple
Forgetting to develop any of these core relationship skills is sort of like Jenga – take one or two pieces out and the whole structure becomes much easier to topple over. Conversely, having all the right pieces in place serves as the protective barrier that can allow you to one day grow old together, and look back with no regrets.
If you are ready to get started, contact us today – we would love to hear from you. To learn more about how premarital counseling in Orange Park can help you have a forever love, read on!
What will we get out of premarital counseling?
A happily-ever-after home is built very intentionally in such a way that it can withstand all that life may throw its way. These pieces are what we will teach you to build into your marriage.
In a marriage the foundation of a lasting relationship is Knowing One Another (i.e. intimacy). The weight-bearing walls are Trust and Commitment. Partners must be trustworthy, and know that they are determined to “stick together” through thick and thin, in order for the relationship to make it. Without those three critical supports the whole house collapses.
The masters of marriage know how to Share Fondness and Admiration for each other. This means they make a regular habit of expressing cherishing messages to each other that make the relationship full of positive affirmation and positive regard.
Next we teach couples how to Turn Towards Instead of Away or Against. Couples who turn toward have a simple, repeatable system in place for facing their partner, being fully present when the other is speaking, and maintaining an “us” mentality rather than a “me versus you” mentality.
In relationships that last a lifetime, Dr. Gottman’s 40 years of research showed that the couples who made it maintained a Positive Perspective of their partner and their relationship. This doesn’t mean that real-life problems aren’t dealt with, or that couples never fight, but rather that partners see things differently than high-conflict couples. Some of these differences are:
- Giving each other the benefit of the doubt
- Recalling the good times as a way of having hope that a rough patch won’t last forever
- Spotting the good in your partner even when they occasionally behave poorly
- Treating each other with gentleness and grace
One of the most important skills to learn in marriage is how to Manage Conflict. The reason we say “Manage” instead of “Resolve” is that research shows only 31% of couples’ arguments revolve around problems that can actually be solved. Most conflict is around issues of preference, temperamental differences, and value differences.
The last two skills, Making Life Dreams Come True and Creating Shared Meaning, can only be realized in a relationship where those other operating systems are running efficiently and smoothly. There’s no greater feeling in the world than helping your partner take steps toward his/her goals and dreams, or feeling supported in your goals and dreams.
If you and your fiancé want to build this Sound Relationship House, and have a forever love, let us help! We provide premarital counseling for relationships just like yours, and we would love to work with you! To find out how our services can help your relationship, contact us today.
How long is premarital counseling?
At Uplift Counseling Center we pride ourselves on offering some of the most effective and efficient services you’ll find! We offer 2 ways you and your fiancé can complete your premarital counseling.
Single 6-hour program
- Why wait three weeks to complete premarital counseling when you can reserve a day with us?
- Perhaps you’re short on time and need this option.
- This format saves you the most money.
- Our usual rate of $150 an hour is discounted to $125 as our wedding gift to you. Total cost is $750 for the 6-hour program.
Three 2-hour visits
- Have too much to do to spend the good part of an entire day on premarital counseling? Then let’s complete it in 3 weeks!
- This option is also preferable for those who learn best in bite-sized pieces, not one large chunk.
- Our usual rate of $150 is discounted to $135 as our wedding gift to you. Total cost is $810 for the three-week, 6-hour program.
Interested? Let’s Connect!
Interested in hearing more about our practice? Want to learn more about how we can help? We would love to hear from you. Click on Contact in the menu above!
Our office is conveniently located on 2233 Park Avenue (US-17), Building 500 Suite 103, Orange Park, FL 32073.